Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why do some people not ask how you are or how you have been in this difficult time after you have genuinely asked them and wanted to know? ?

Do people really do not care?

Should you never say to a friend and be honest if you are not doing too well?

You have wanted to know how they are etc..

This is via phone or text..

Wow choko, so so insightful, I’d never have thought of that..

Do not answer if you are going to be rude.. 

You'd have to ask the person in question.

• RP

We ought to be able to be honest with friends, but, if you feel that someone is asking how you are in a perfunctory manner, your best response is minimal.

As someone who used to answer 'How are you?' questions, I can tell you people (as a rule) don't expect an HONEST answer. I think people just use is a 'silence breaker/introduction'. I used to get it a lot at one job, and while I was answering, people would just talk over me!! (I used to laugh and think - 'Why did you ask'?!!) One person asked how I was and I just waited for them to continue - it took a few seconds before I realised they were waiting for an answer!! I laughed and apologised as I told them whenever I answered people talked over me . . .   It didn't go well. Damned if you . . .   

When acquaintances say “How are you?” they don’t really care for an honest answer. It’s just a fancy way of saying hello. Some people don’t bother with it. If you’re talking about a good friend not asking how you are after you asked them, it could be anything from absent mindedness to selfishness. Is it just a once in a while thing or every time? If you need a shoulder to cry on maybe let them know you need to talk. Some people are taken by surprise when they say “How are you?” and the person spends the next several minutes unloading on them. 

• Jerry

Just because you would behave a certain way in a certain situation doesn't mean other people are going to behave that way in that situation. 

some people are just shy

People are selfish, they do not care how any one is but them.. sadly.