Is it possible to afford a condo on a 60k salary? I’m thinking about taking out a loan, and going back to school. ?

I’m in my late 20’s and am currently bringing home $60, 225 annually. Presently, I live in a studio apartment with my kitten, and am paying $1,375 in rent. 

In the very near future I plan to go back to school to obtain my masters. My job offers tuition reimbursement so I’m getting my masters for free essentially. I guess I’m looking into a condo because I want a bedroom and want to own instead of rent. The amount of money I am spending on rent I would think could go towards an actually home. 

I do not have student loan debt. I have a good credit score 740+ and barely have any real debt. Maybe some credit card bills to pay off that’s it. 

What do think? Please help point me in the right direction. I want to make a wise investment. I doubt I’ll be getting married or anything anytime soon or having kids 

A one bedroom apartment in NY starts at $1,600 I would think at that price I should just own.

If this makes a difference, I am looking to buy in boroughS like Bronx and Westchester 

You can borrow about 180K for a home.  So all depend son the cost of the condo and what you have to put down.

in my area, yes

Step one is to speak to a lender.  You sound like you would qualify easily so is just a matter of how much you have to cover a down payment and closing costs and determining how large of a loan a lender will give you and how large a loan you are comfortable repaying (these two numbers aren't always the same).

The rule of thumb is you can get a loan of about 3 times your gross income (pre-tax) on the high end, but you need to talk to the lender to know your price range before you start shopping (ideally with a realtor).  Good Luck, and pat yourself on the back for being wise to want advance towards home ownership.

You should be able to get a loan for about 3X your annual income or $180K.

In upstate NY this might be do able, in the tristate area it's not going to be.

You need to save for the downpayment and closing costs. 

In most places, yes.

Unfortunately for you, NY is one of the few places where condos are so expensive that you might not be able to.