Is garbage disposal the problem?

My under kitchen sink garbage disposal doesn't turn on and leaks. I notice sometimes the dirty water lays at the bottom of dishwasher. Will replacing the disposal be enough to fix everything or will it need snaked out to clean everything up?

I doubt the garbage disposal, even if defective, is causing the dishwasher not to properly drain. I also doubt cleaning the lines will address that issue. It sounds like the pump in the dishwasher should be where you look first.

a leaking disposal NEEDS replacement, yes.  unless you detect that the leak is because it is improperly installed to the drain line.  leaking from the bottom, even if it runs, means replace it -- you've got water and electricity almost mixing there ... not a good idea.

Dirty water in bottom of dishwasher MIGHT be because the disposal is clogging the drain line [dishwasher drains into the disposal].  It might also be because the hidden filter in the bottom of the dishwasher needs to be cleaned.  How to access that for cleaning is available on youtube -- just internet search with brand and model number.  The makers of these things didn't bother putting this procedure in the owner's manual -- probably because most homes won't need it but once every ten to twenty years -- at which time the unknowing new owners of the house will simply toss it and buy a new one.

--Grampa

maybe better to call a plumber ............................