Was I in the wrong?

I reminded my mother twice to buy something she needed to buy yesterday and she went to shopping today and when she realized that she forgot to buy the item, she started screaming, swearing, and calling me names and basically blamed it all on me even she is the one who forgot to buy the item. Am I in the wrong? when I tried defending myself, she kept screaming nasty things at me & wouldn't stop.

• Linda

That's terrible of your Mother to talk to you like that Savannah. She was in the wrong. She owes you a huge apology and make sure she does or spend little time with her...emotional abuse is awful when it involves family.

Source(s): Came from dysfunctional family

No.  Your mother sounds crazy.

i dont think so and she shouldnt be screaming at you, if shes being abusive call cps, if youre older move out

NO she is being childish and I would avoid trying to help her.

I don’t say this to sound like a smart ***, but have you considered leaving home? Maybe work toward your career and then make enough money to leave. To me it sounds as if your mom is toxic and not easy to be around.  You’re not in the wrong but I’d suggest leaving if she’s going to be that way.  I am in a similar situation only not with mom. I’m 21 year old guy and I’m hoping to begin trade school soon and get a career, make enough money to leave home. 

I don't think that was the time to defend yourself, or do anything other than firmly state something like, "It sucks that you forgot that, I'm going out later if you'd like me to grab it then. I'm going to go to another space because I don't deserve to be screamed at." And, then shut up and give her space. Tantrums are rarely about the person they are aimed at, she knows that you aren't at fault, she knows that she's responsible for her shopping, human logic is to look for someone else to blame to ease our own discomfort. The best thing you can do in those moments is validate, put down an expectation, and then remove yourself. Sometimes that means going for a walk, hanging up the phone if that's where the conversation is happening, going into another room, etc.  

• Isabel

Your mom is in the wrong. I’m so sorry you had to deal with that.  Shut the door and do some guided meditations.  Know that’s it’s not you.  It’s not your fault.  Don’t engage, just work on your own heart.

• Edwena

Yes you are in the wrong.  What you are doing is setting up your mother by expecting her to do something for you.   Then, when she doesn't you complain that she isn't meeting your expectation.  Like you could write it down on a list and give it to her, instead of telling her "twice". 

Your mother was angry with herself but took it out on you as she is feeling too vulnerable admit her mistake. Once things have calmed down, you can tell her quietly that you were upset that she blamed you.

Know your mom doesn't sound like she is safe to be around.