How often do you change your brakepads?

When they start to squeak (or if I observe that they are getting really low when I inspect them).

Most brake pads have little bits of ferrite in the last 1/8" or so of pad that will squeak to let you know the pads are getting low - changing them prior to that is generally a waste of money unless you drive really aggressively and are worried that your brakes might fail when you stand up on them.

I always drive manual transmission, and downshift to decelerate - only actually putting on the brakes when I come to a complete stop (or if I have to slow suddenly due to traffic), so my brake pads literally last forever.

When I do change pads, I will inspect the rotors, but unless they are noticeably uneven and/or warped, I generally won't turn or replace them.  The new pads will quickly adapt to minor imperfections in the hard face, and again - since I use them so infrequently, I will get a lot of use out of them.

• F

I have a high performance car and live in a hilly area. Virtually no miles are done on a motorway .

Fronts 15000, rear 40000.

• JOHN B

I have apprx. 175k on a '99 Ranger and have not changed the pads. I have done 1 set of calipers. I drive in such a way as to save gas and use the clutch to slow before stopping. Thanks for your inquiry.

• bo

all depends on driving conditions. I get about 50-55k on mine since 90% of my driving is back and forth to work is on the highway my girlfriend on the other hand does all hers in the city and she gets only about 20k on her car

Every person wears brake pads differently. If most of your driving is at highway speeds your brake pads will last many miles and a long time. On the other hand mostly town / city driving requires more stopping so pads will not last as long. If you do a lot of combination highway / city driving your pads will last a long time IF you anticipate stop signs and stop lights by rolling up yo them instead of speeding to them then piling onto the brakes at the last moment.                                                     

I check brake pad thickness every time the tires are rotated which is at every oil change.

• Scott

When they need changing. There's no time or mileage standard for brake pads because their life depends on driving conditions and habits. I inspect them every time I rotate my tires.

Front brake pads and rotors average 50,000 miles. Rear pads and rotors usually go 65,000 miles.

• Ron

As often as they need 

When they either reach the wear indicators (audible) or when they no longer seem to work well. Because I drive a manual transmission, downshift a lot, and drive conservatively, my current brake pads have over 80,000 miles on them and they (and the brake rotors) still have acceptable wear. The way many people drive, their brakes don't last more than 30,000 miles.

My "daily driver" is now 14 years old but only 71,000 miles so still plenty of lining left on the original pads.  My shop inspects at each service - says they're still "like new".  But my wife needs a brake job every 20,000 miles - which is why I don't drive with her.