Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

The 13th amendment was changed after the civil war, but why was it not changed at the start of it? Proof the civil war wasn't over slavery?

First of all, the Civil War was NOT about slavery, contrary to the popular misconception. Looking back from today's perspective (as so many people incorrectly like to do), the narrative of it lays out the foundation of racism as being the cause of the war, and if there's one thing the Democratic party does best, it's use racism to justify their agenda.

This issue results in the all too common cognitive dissonance that feeds people's denial.

Lincoln himself stated that the war was not about slavery:

"I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution... My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." - Lincoln

More proof, a documented voice recording of Julius Howell who served in the Confederate army, also supports the fact that the Civil War was not over slavery.

There WAS, however, a prior 13th Amendment - it prohibited elected officials from accepting titles of Nobility. It was claimed that it was not officially ratified by enough states to become law. This assertion was made because it was claimed that notification of Virginia's ratification (the last ratification needed) never made it to the Secretary of State to be recorded.

There are a number of reasons for this - "corruption" being on the top of the list. 

Because of this, verification of the amendment passing has to be made by the Virginia state legislature's order to print a new Constitution that included this 13th Amendment. By their own law, "the new Constitution would be printed on the same day that the amendment was ratified". Consequently, they couldn't have printed the new Constitution unless they had, in fact, ratified the amendment first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPiDqUB9k1I

Youtube thumbnail

There was a causal link between the states that wanted to secede and the institution of slavery. Kind of splitting hairs with words. The Civil War happened because certain states declared succession, picked up arms against the US Government, and attacked US military installations. The reason the states wanted to succeed was because they wanted to keep slavery.

The 13th Amendment wasn't drafted until 1864, it was passed by the House of Representatives in January 1865, and it didn't become law until the Senate ratified it in December 1865.

The move was largely symbolic, as it only freed slaves in areas outside of Union control, but it changed the conflict from a war for the reunification of the states to a war whose objectives included the destruction of slavery. Lincoln believed that a constitutional amendment was necessary to ensure the end of slavery.

• It was about states right and which states wanted slaves and which states wanted to abolish slavery

The thirteenth amendment wasn't changed after the Civil War.  It was created after the Civil War.  Prior to the Civil War, there were 12 amendments, the last one was passed in 1803 and reformed the procedures for electing a President to prevent the situation which happened in the 1800 election where both Thomas Jefferson and his VP nominee Aaron Burr got the same number of electoral votes, thus putting the presidency in doubt.  The Thirteenth Amendment was ratified in 1865 in the closing months of the war to prevent slavery from ever being brought back once the South was readmitted to the Union.

What you're perhaps thinking of is the so called Corwin Amendment.  It was proposed by Representative Thomas Corwin in March of 1861 and would have prevented the federal government from abolishing slavery in the states.  It was meant to resolve the secession crisis which had been going on since the winter of 1860.  The amendment was passed by both houses of Congress, but it was only ratified by one state, Kentucky, before war broke out.  A few others ratified it over the coming years, but not enough to put it into effect, and its intent was superseded by the actual 13th amendment in 1865. 

The Corwin Amendment shows that slavery actually was the cause of the secession crisis, and therefore the Civil War.  When people were trying to resolve the secession crisis and bring the Deep South back into the Union their efforts all focused on slavery and hopefully putting up adequate enough protections to placate the South and stop secession.

Slavery was the most divisive issue in America for a number of yrs. Dred Scott, Kan/Neb Act, Missouri Compromise were 3 SC cases about slavery that temporarily assuaged hostilities. There had been 62 proposed amendments ... nearly all included slavery in slave states. One was on Lincoln's desk (he alluded to it in his inauguration speech) but the south fired on Ft. Sumter and that forced his hand.

Slavery is a vile institution ... always has been. The south won't admit to how slavery was the major most issue behind the war. It's understood. I liken it to how there are way more racist people today than those who admit it.

You don't make sense to me. I'm honest, educated and intelligent. I don't speak gibberish.

The 13th Amendment was CHANGED? You're mistaken. The 13th Amendment did not exist before the Civil War dumbass.

Source(s): Fighting stupidity one idiot at a time
  • y

The issue of slavery was part, but not the whole story.

The civil was about keeping our union together, slavery was the cause of it.