Will wedding attendees be offended by my alcohol breath? ?

A friend’s wedding is today. Because I often experience near-crippling social anxiety, I want to get some drinks in me before the ceremony. Will someone be offended if my breath smells of alcohol? Is it even appropriate for me to have a few drinks before the wedding? Mind you, I’m not in the wedding party. 

Just drink vodka, it doesn't have much of a smell. Then brush your teeth or eat a mint. 

• J

Most people drink at wedding receptions but not the ceremony. If you really need to calm your nerves, just have a couple drinks. Don’t show up drunk or visibly intoxicated. Sit in the back and stay quiet. Use mouthwash and some spray so you don’t reak like a drunk. Once the drinking starts at the party, it’s totally fine to be a little tipsy. Just don’t get so drunk you make a fool of yourself or disrupt the wedding. You don’t wanna be that drunk guest who ruins the vibe of the party. 

I think the real issue, here, is your "near-crippling social anxiety". Many people do drink to ease social tensions, but not everyone would define their fears the way you just did. The wedding is over by the time I'm writing this, so whatever you did, 'tis over and done with. But now, I think you should address your social anxieties in other ways than drugging yourself with alcohol. Try group therapy.  Lastly, though its done now, I wouldn't have gone at all, due to covid virus risks. Nothing is worth getting sick enough to die.

• Edna

You're not a member of the wedding party, so  the other guests won't care if you have a few drinks before the wedding ceremony - not as long as you don't get totally sloshed and make a fool of yourself. 

The other guests are probably going to be drinking during the wedding reception anyway. 

• Trish

This causes concern, please find help.

an alcoholic with anxiety. perfect combo.... god, go get some real professional help before you make yourself worse. alcohol doesn't work...

i'm also assuming you will be wearing a MASK so who the hell is going to smell your breath?

• Ocimom

Instead of resorting to alcohol, can't you take anti anxiety medications instead?

• Don't drink enough so you're drunk and tipsy. Then you may end up saying / doing things that you will regret.

Bring some mints with you if you're worried about your breath.

These days with if you're practicing social distancing, I doubt too many people would smell it. 

There are things you can do to help you with anxiety besides drinking. If you want help for it speak to your doctor. 

• KatieC

Don’t most people smell like alcohol at a wedding? I mean, don’t get wasted and act like a jackass, but I’m sure no one cares if they catch a whiff of alcohol.

It's really not a good idea, but I can understand. So limit yourself to 2, brush your teeth, gargle and suck on breath mints. Since the 6 ft. Distancing thing, it will be easier to stay away from others.