Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 4 weeks ago

How would you react if you saw a man insulting his partner at a store?

For those of you who have worked in retail. How would you react if you saw a man insulting his wife, calling her stupid and saying that she never doesn't anything right? Everyone including yourself can hear him. As an employee, do you intervene? Do you report this to the manager? Do you report this to the police? How would you proceed?

I don't know what the right course of action would be in this situation because I don't have the whole context and I don't know how much I can intervene in this situation. 

• not

I've intervened in domestic situations. Nothing like her changing her mind and going right back the next day. It's tricky stuff. It's like helping someone quit drugs; waste of time until they truly want that and then they don't need you so much. 

I've witnessed women doing this to men. People laugh, hmm. 

Until it got physical (or close to) or if it started interfering with other customers or employees it is none of my business

As a retail employee, it’s advised not to get involved with a customer’s private life unless it’s a serious police emergency- like child kidnapping for instance.

As a regular human being with a kind heart, however, you might choose to respond differently. 

• polly

I'd be worried about making it worse for her If I said anything in her defence.

I called the Police one night because I could hear my neighbour verbally abusing his wife/partner & the Police told me to mind my own business.

The answer is that you mind your business. Especially in a retail job as any form of intervention will be met with you swiftly being fired.