Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

What would you think of an American who told you that dumb only means stupid, and nothing else, after you tried to tell them it means an ?

inability to speak

I seem to be getting answers from rambling Yanks who sound like the one in the question, which they haven't read properly 

I'm American and I know what dumb means.  A mute.  But I'm old.  I read a lot in my younger years. 

But as far as the others around me, especially the young, people have long ago lost the meaning of dumb. 

Deaf, dumb and blind.

Everything is a slang word nowadays.

The word dumb has been used as an insult for a long time, and people don't use it anymore to describe someone who cannot speak.  They either use the medical term--aphasia, or simply state that a person cannot talk.  You might consider erasing this term from your vocabulary, too.

• RP

I'd think this represents a failure to communicate.

Sadly, I would think he is a typical ignorant American.

We don't use that term anymore. It's rude. We use mute.