How can I minimise or remove a deep scratch from an oak table?

You can minimize it with a scratch cover treatment. Old English is one brand, try a hardware store. There's also the Tibet Almond Stick, which may be harder to find in physical stores. The only way to remove a scratch is to sand down the wood so the rest of the wood is level or almost level with the scratch. Then you will have to refinish so the sanded part matches the rest, which may involve refinishing the whole table.

I have finished at least 40 to 50 pieces of furniture and I say, because it is a deep scratch, you will need to sand the whole top of the table with varying sandpaper grits. Starting with something like 100 grit then going to 150 and finally 220 or 320 grit. Always sanding with the grain or by using a random orbital sander. Then you clean the surface, wipe it down with a tack cloth and apply a varnish like polyurethane. My personal favorite is MinWax wipe on poly. 

.

Don't. Go with it. Add to it. Turn the scratch into the first stroke of the letter "W" and precede it with "G". You can then tell everyone your table was made from the wood of an oak tree that George Washington carved his initials into.

• gerald

You dont , an expert does its quality and not a garden shed like anything it can be done but  you can ruin it 

Sand with 600 grit or 1000 grit sandpaper until stain or paint is removed or surface is clean.  Wipe surface with alcohol and apply wood filler in the cavity, let dry until filler is hard  and sand again to get surface smooth.   Wipe down with alcohol and touch up paint or stain if required.