Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 3 months ago

If I buy a stencil from say Hobby Lobby like of a wolf and printed it on shirts, is it okay to sell the shirts?

Now what about if you buy licensed fabric? I'm assuming the fabric company paid the NFL or Disney but does that carry over to me to sell a cowboys face mask?

Yes. You can sell the shirts. 

• D50

Hobby Lobby EXPECTS you to sell T-shirts with this printed on it. I've never heard of them going after someone who did.

Many products and even published lessons, etc, have limits on how many times they can be used for profit. 

That number and any other conditions for profiting from them are usually written in fine print on the inside of the publications or on product packaging/etc, or can be learned by calling the company and asking them about their policy for that particular product, etc.   

no...you cannot make money from other peoples art..buy you can print it on shirts...so long as you do not make profit

• drip

Yes you can.  There are no infringement violations.

This is true.

I have bought designs for embroidery, machine embroidery and for the silhouette cutting machine.  You can not sell the design Itself . But you can put the design on a garment and sell the garment.  Only registered licensed art work can not be sold. Like Disney.

Short question but a very complex problem. If the stencil was a simple pice of plastic hanging from a hook with all the other stencils it's fine. Many of these images come from public domain and copyright free stock image  websites. If it came in a plastic wrapper with a cardboard band stapled to the top with an artist's name on it then it's not so clear cut, Disney has gone after Etsy sellers who stencil any Disney property on things  and other artist and trademark holders are always watching for unlicensed use of their copyright. Some don't care unless your sales are over a certain number. That's why small vendors of posters and artwork of comic and anime characters aren't shut down, their sales are below the threshold. The threshold varies but most don't go after anyone whole sales are lower than 50 to 100 thousand. If the cardboard band is more generic - brands like hobby lobby store brand or stencils for you or similar then again it shouldn't be a problem as many of these are public domain images.

If you are still uncertain then buy blank stencil plastic and a stencil cutting tool. Find a find a public domain stock image, trace it and cut your own stencil. You can use that one all you want and you don't need to worry about any copyrights or reselling licences.

This  is barely the basics. The rules change according to your country and if you are selling internationally or in your home country onmy. Smple question, very complicated to completely answer within the limited scope of Yahoo answers

Edit: it's okay to use licenced fabrics for yourself. Reselling things made with licensed fabrics is a whole 'nother hornet's nest that I'm not getting intro.  I would not recommend reselling anything made with Disney properties. Again, I'm not delving into this hornet's nest.

yeah, if your demographic is 50 year old men with bandanas that have the american flag printed on it and are wearing a knee brace from the dollar store