deb asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Does running directly lower or raise my blood pressure?

I’ve been trying to donate blood for almost a year now but my blood pressure is always too low. I go running 4 times a week so I was wondering if it would be best to try to donate blood after a run or on a day that I don’t run? Thank you for your time!

• .

Running should raise your blood pressure, by raising your heart rate. Heart rate higher = blood pumping faster = higher blood pressure. 

The American Red Cross eligibility criteria for donating blood has this: 

"Blood Pressure, Low  Acceptable as long as you feel well when you come to donate, and your blood pressure is at least 90/50 (systolic/diastolic)."

If your blood pressure is that low, I suggest you consult your physician. Ask the doctor about your risk from donating blood.

Presumably, the blood donation with low blood pressure exists because there is some increased risk from donating with low blood pressure. If you hide your low blood pressure by running hard before donating, you might be at risk. So, check with your doctor to see if this is a good idea.