Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

How do you *know* god is real?

I know gravity is real because I feel it. Time is real because I experience it. I know evolution is real because it's been well documented using the scientific method. But what how do you *know* for a fact god is real? All these other things can be tested by anyone in the world and come to the same conclusion. But with god there is no such thing. 

you breathe when asleep yet you don't see it. you feel the wind yet you don't see it.  you know your body is held together by bones yet you don't see them. you do not have to see to Believe yet all except the physically blind have seen God. yet they don't know it.

God has shown sufficient to all.

If you do not know it is because you do not want to know.

You know time is real.  You don't know gravity is real - Flat Earthers, for example, dispute that and replace it with the idea that Earth is constantly accelerating (I'm not one and of course gravity is real).  Knowledge is such a high standard that it doesn't apply to anything based on sensory perception.  However, we continue to operate on assumptions and life goes on.  Likewise I operate on the evidence-supported assumption (the sense of the numinous, the fact that the most famous person in the world is a penniless hobo 2000 years ago, the fact that my prayers are answered and the fact that apes who evolved as hunter-gatherers on the Afrikan savannah can somehow understand nuclear physics) that God exists.  I also believe my wife exists but I can't prove it.

There are never any good answers to this question. Christians believe the bible supports a God and usually see it without error, while everyone else (even religious scholars) see it as full of errors. You cannot even suspect advanced alien intelligence much less godly intelligence in any of our holy books. That is why some theists reject all religions because they see the errors that let us know they are purely man made.

Feelings can make you believe all sorts of irrational things are true or real. That is why we need feelings to align with the intellect in order to maintain rationality. Theists simply have nothing on the intellectual side to support even a remote possibility and there are actually things we can know that would make the concept of God impossible.

It is always interesting when a theist attempts a deeper understanding to help answer questions that they don't really have good answers to, only to lead themselves right into becoming an ex-theist.

It really can seem that God is real, and you can achieve all sorts of wonderful feelings "thinking" about it. But that is why we love fiction, it gets us thinking, which produces real feelings of joy, sadness, excitement etc that is great, but those feelings as real as they are doesn't make what you are thinking about real. Theists don't seem to understand this and use their real feelings as evidence that the God/Goddess they are thinking of is real.

When the time come for you to know God, you will. It's not like any thing that you can see on earth. Think about the past, present, and future. By the time you look for the present you already in the furture. God is always in the present you an I are never in the present to long. 

You have to sense him.

I know God is real because I feell Him, but perhaps even more powerfully than you feel gravity. I knbow He is real because His Word bears His truth for us. I know He is real because all of the social, political, financial, international, and religious upheaval that is going on currently is spoken of in God's Word. Much of this was declared 2,000 years ago, and more of it was revealed in His Word 3,500 years ago. 

• Paul

I know God is real because I feel Him. I know God is real because He is well documented throughout history. The better you get to know Him, the more you can sense His presence, and recognize His working in your life. You ask Him for guidance in a particular area, and you receive it, often in ways you would never even have considered. Of course we also know He is real because of the collection of first person historical documents written by people who knew Him personally and associated with Him on a daily basis.

The Bible is proof.  Here is the truth: The Lord Jesus Christ is God. Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, or not. The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell.

.

Believing in the Lord Jesus Christ means being forgiven all sins past and future and means going to heaven. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus was buried, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing on Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

You can't *know* anything is real, other than the self can affirm it is real because it is thinking. I think therefore I am. I really don't know about the rest of reality, it could be a fanciful construct.

• yesmar

Nobody "knows" God is real with 100% psychological certainty, despite what they may claim. Even Jesus' closest and most trusted companions had doubts and misgivings.

Source(s): Jesus follower