Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

What is the best cooking oil ? coconut / olive / peanut / seasame ?? ?

sesame oil for chinese , olive oil for italian , rest use canola oil, coconut oil for curries and indian.

For high-heat sauté or frying, coconut and avocado oil is best.  Seed oil (corn, canola, soybean, safflower, sunflower, "vegetable", etc.) aren't actually good for high heat or healthy in any way. 

Olive oil should not be used for high heat cooking.  

it depends on what you are doing. 

I use sesame very sparingly in some Asian dishes, it can be a strong oil particularly toasted sesame oil. 

Coconut, I will use for baking some things (I use unrefined so it has a coconut flavor)

Olive oil I use for cooking, rarely baking, in cooking I will use it if I want that flavor. 

For most things I use a "vegetable oil" could be any vegetable oil that I pick up I am not that particular since it is neutral.

• kswck2

It kind of depends on the dish. Olive oil should Not be used in cooking, in fact many chefs will Only use olive oil to finish a dish. For higher temperature cooking, you may want a 'Neutral' oil, one that doesn't add any flavor to the dish, like corn, canola, vegetable oils. For deep frying, you want a peanut oil as it has a very high smoke point. Avocado oil has the Highest smoke point, but is too expensive to use in quantity. I have no opinion on coconut oil as i am allergic to coconuts. 

we personally use corn oil

I was watching Bill Maher three or four weeks ago and one of his Zoom guests was a physician who was hung up on the dangers of using fats extracted from grains. She came down hard or rapeseed (Canola) and sunflower oils, preferring olive and avacado.  Her contention is that stored fat retains some of the characteristics of the ingested oil. I use Kalamata olive oil almost exclusively in cooking, especially when adding butter. But that's because of the smoke point. I don't believe stored fats come from ingested fat, most of it comes from simple carbohydrates.

Peanut oil. Ask 5 guys burgers and fries. 

• denise

Olive oil for sautéing.

Any other frying, I'd use general vegetable oil.

I'd just use peanut or sesame oil to finish off an Oriental / stir fry. 

• Anton

Refined Olive Oil, $4/liter. https://www.instacart.com/landing?product_id=33947...  Smoke point is over 400°F, I deep fry at 350°F to 375°F,

Healthline.com says you should use Olive Oil  --  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-olive-oil-...

invite oli is superior