Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why was my dog pacing ?

keep in mind this is the first time i take my dog to a different house......so i spent the weekend at my sisters i took my dog with me but when i went to bed he was constantly pacing around me occasionally sitting down next to me or laying down but still holding his head up looking around the room i never seen him do this before 

Dog can't settle in a strange place.

• Maxi

Dogs will pace when anxious. Sudden or severe stress in their environment, or related to storms or loud noises ......... so in your case you have an axious dog because you have taken it to a different house and for a weekend, so completely changed its 'norm'..... if it is very anxious then dogs will refuse food...so you can assess its level of anxiety.... if it is eating then it is not high level anxious

You answered your own question, friend. Your dog was in unfamiliar territory and anxious and scared. This is quite common. When I take my dog to a friend's house, if there isn't another dog there, he's kind of the same. Won't settle down until he's next to me or my husband, and even then, ALERT. When he's at home, he's relaxed, on his back, feet in the air without a care, because he knows he's safe. 

The issue is people giving in when this happens and they end up not taking their dog anywhere, but this only makes it worse. Keep exposing him, little by little, to new places and sights and sounds. This will ease the anxiety and help him learn that new places are fun. It can be slow going, like with my pup, who is still fearful of new things, but the more we ease him in, the better he will be in the long run.

One of my dogs hates change.  I drive cross country twice a year and he hates every second of the trip.  He also paces and usually grumbles all night.

• Anton

No one likes change, dogs included.  He didn't have his bed, couldn't sleep.

• martin

Walk him.  You might be sorry, if you pick up something on the sole of your slippers.

• Sandy

separation anxiety?

Apparently you've got a nervous dog with no self-confidence.  A dog sorely lacking in correct socializing.  So fix it!