Is it possible for someone to have octuplets without fertility treatments? ?

Hi this must seem like an odd question but it’s for research. This is not about me or anybody I know. I was wondering if it’s possible for someone to have large amounts of multiples( 7 or 8 babies) without going through Fertility treatments. Also other than octomom is there anybody else reported to have octuplets? If the person were to have octuplets what would they be closely monitored through a hospital or left at home like a typical pregnancy of 1 or 2 babies? 

This is not pertaining to me I promise! Just want to find out some answers. 

• Edna

Octuplets are each of 8 children born at one birth. Outside of Fertility Clinic treatments, octuplets would be almost impossible - a woman would have to release 8 eggs at one time. THAT is not likely to ever happen, not without Fertility Clinic treatments that  will increase the number of eggs she releases.

If a woman was pregnant with octuplets, she would HAVE to be closely monitored by her doctors for the entire duration of her pregnancy. She would have a TEAM of doctors monitoring her and the 8 babies the entire time.  Her pregnancy would be NOTHING like a pregnancy of one or two babies.  

The Dionne quintuplets (5 identical girls born in 1934) were the first naturally-conceived quintuplets known to have survived their infancy. They were born 2 months premature, but all 5 survived to adulthood. 

Yes, though highly unlikely.

• LizB

It's possible, but rare. However Nadya Suleman (aka "Octomom") is the only known case where all 8 babies were all born alive AND survived, and her pregnancy with 8 children was not naturally occuring. In every other prior known case of naturally occuring octuplets, some or all of the babies perished soon after birth or were stillborn. Humans are just not made to carry litters of babies, it is medically safest for us to birth just one child at a time.

• edward

Possible?  Yes.  Likely?  No.  Not all babies usually survive in cases like that

Yes, though it's probability is extremely low.