Is the 1998 Altima a good car at this Day and age?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • I actually currently own two 1998 Volvos (and 2 others)..  And I have owned an Altima.  First, consider that not only has the motor and transmission got to work but that every little part of the car, like door seals, bearings on the windshield wiper motor, brake lines, electrical wires, plastic pieces all over the car etc. are starting to break down physically.  Not that they are broken but they are wasting away.  Secondly, after 20 years the law no longer requires manufactures to supply parts and support for their vehicles. Popular cars should always have SOME aftermarket stuff available for another 5 years.  Some auto shops don't want to do major repairs on 20+ cars because they know this and can't fool around looking for odd parts.  Odd specific things will be your downfall.  Take an A/C evaporator or maybe a fuel sending unit for a 1998 S90 for example. It's rare, hard to find and expensive.  My '98 S70 T5 manual needs new synchronizers in the trans, no shop wants to do it because of the hassle and I have to throw them big bucks.  Unless you LOVE a particular car and are able to spend huge money to care for them, don't do it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It depends on mileage, condition, and maintenance history

• 1 month ago

get something made in this century

• 1 month ago

No 22 year old car is a good deal.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No car can withstand your abuse, Mark — especially old ones.  Maybe you should buy a Ford F-450 Super Duty powered by a 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel.

• 1 month ago

No 23 year old car can still be considered to be a good car.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A 1998 Altima is pushing 23 if not 23 already. The only person who it might be "good" for in this "day and age" is someone who was not yet alive when it was made.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.