Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 4 weeks ago

How do you handle favortism at work? ?

I work as a bartender/server in a restaurant. I've had issues with my schedule because I am only scheduled mornings (the least $ making shifts). I asked to become a bartender- and was denied over a new employee due to favortism. Then they offered it to me and took it away again. Then we got back to work after the covid shutdown, they offered me the bartender position because the morning bartender was staying home and collecting the extra 600 unemployment check. After two months, she comes back. My general manager said that I would not lose my shifts if she ever did, but unfortunately, that GM quit and so the new GM decided to give the old bartender her shifts back despite that she gets the most complaints and shows up 45 minutes late for her shifts. I managed to pick up quite a few bar shifts because the weekend bartender called out for multiple days and the nighttime bartender called out for a week. They are also an hour late every day/night but continue to be scheduled the best bar shifts. I am stuck working Monday/Tuesday days which are the worst $$$ shifts. No matter how many times I cover or stay late and work 50+ hours a week, it never seems to be enough. My new GM is even scheduling his favorite employees part-time so that they can still collect partial unemployment and he lets them call out and forces me to cover so I lost the unemployment bonus. I had to call out ONE DAY and he reduced my days and scheduled me host shifts- which is a huge step down. What can I do? 

I encountered that in one job I had. One employee (actually my supervisor) was running her private business on company time, using the company phone to keep in contact with her private customers, and stealing customers away from our employer. It was a very obvious conflict of interest. Management knew, they just personally liked her. I suspect (could never prove) that every time someone brought this to their attention, Management told her "be really discreet it for a while, the other staff are complaining." After three years of reporting the things she was doing, I asked if anything was going to be done. The manager said, well we've spoken to her and told her she has 90 days to stop. I gave my two week notice that moment.

When people have their favorites, there's not really anything you can do about that. You don't have to be the sucker I was and wait three years to find other employment. Some people have the philosophy, "Always be looking for your next job." If you're in an at-will state, they can terminate you any time. Beat them to the punch.

That sounds like a military problem.

You can quit and look for another job.

Your situation better not be "fact".

You are a server / waitress / part-time bartender.

You aren't a manager or a supervisor.

she gets the most complaints = do you sit around and count complaints.she shows up 45 minutes late / they show up an hour late = I thought you just told us that you don't work evenings?What can I do? if you want to continue working there, lose the everyone is against me attitude.

• Scott

You are free to seek employment elsewhere.

maybe you should work somewhere else

maybe you should work somewhere else

Stop whining, quit and get another job.