Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Opinion on self harm?? How to overcome it. ?

I can admit that I’ve harmed myself & it has been recently. I don’t have plans to actually kill my self but I’ve been dealing with major depression for years.. the medicine they give never helps, in fact makes everything worse. I used a blade to cut my arms & as crazy as it may seem, it took away the pain that I was feeling. I didn’t know how bad it hurt until the next day. I can feel myself getting to that point again, & I’m trying so hard to overcome it. All people do is call me crazy. I’ve tried to get help, tried medication, tried meditating, tried getting out more, etc. idk but I’m really in a deep hole.. I’m tired of getting judged.

Living w depression can be very tough and challenging, so first of all congrats for trying to get help.

You mention that medication never helps, it can take some time to find the correct medications for you. Also, medications are not the only thing that needs to be done to get out of depression, therapy is needed.

I didn't feel better until I went to therapy and worked w the right therapist on my issues. Depression is complex and it is not cured just w medications or trying meditating. You need a therapist to find out why is that you are feeling like this. 

Judgment isn't helping.

It helps no one. 

The REASON why people self harm is because they suffer from clinical depression.  Whenever we are injured, the "fight or flight" response kicks in and our blood stream is flooded with endorphins, adrenaline, oxygen, cortisone and dozens of other biochemicals.

These biochemical floods have a TEMPORARY biomedical effect on correcting the depression for only a moment.  But the scars are forever. 

You say that you have tried medications.  There is a good chance that you may have what is called Endogenous Depression or Major Depression.  This is a serious life-long mental illness that is genetic and inherited.  It responds well to the RIGHT medications and the patient can live a normal life once maintained on the medications. 

In some very rare cases, Electro-convulsive Therapy is used and has a good effect on the patient who receives it on an outpatient basis these days.

I urge you to not give up about this.

I urge you to keep looking for the right licensed psychiatrist (medical doctor) who can do a thorough medical and psychological work up for you and come up with a plan to treat you successfully. 

I wish you all the best.

You don't say that self-harm is habit with you, so it seems that  this is more a depression problem than a self-harm problem. I can give you some good information about self-harm, but first I'd like to tell you what I know about depression.

If you could win a prize by hitting a target with an arrow and the arrows were free, what would you say to someone who asked you, "How many arrows do you want?" You wouldn't say, "Which is the best one?" You'd say, "How many can I have?"

There's a lot of things that can help, and an advantage to having a professional who knows how to use them. I couldn't say exactly what kind of help you'd need but there are healthy lifestyle things that can help with all kinds of depression.

I've answered a lot of depression questions, with advice from experts about standard treatments and self-help methods, which can enhance effects of standard methods. Just click on my name and read if you like.

This is one of my depression answers - it was rated Best, 5 Stars.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

If you go to the Amazon and Goodreads ads for Freedom from Self-Harm by Gratz and Chapman, you'll see that the reader reviews are all very positive. One says, "This book helped me tremendously."

When you cut less that makes it easier for you to deal with the problem that made you cut, and when you deal with that problem, it makes it easier for you to cut less.

See a therapist

get some help for it