Gamemaker 8 limits?

So. I have been working on a game for over two months now and I'm almost done. I have been using an older program " Gamemaker 8 ". When I start the game it jumps up to over 1000 memory. and when I add sound to the game it says " out of memory " so my question is.....why is my memory so high and does gamemaker 8 have a limit/am I pushing it to much?

• Lv 7

how much RAM do you have in your system? you should really have at least 8GB for working on larger games.

think of RAM like your tabletop. your work area. having more RAM gives you a bigger table to work on. you can do more stuff at once.

• Chris

It's not so much the engine but most likely your graphical assets.

I assume this is a high-res 2D game? High-res sprites need to be loaded into memory to be displayed, and if you have a bunch of them on the screen at the same time, you can reach 1000MB RAM territory pretty quickly.

Switching to another engine won't help, and I guess it's a bit too late to change the graphics to a lower resolution. You can look for an option to increase the amount of RAM that the engine uses when running your game.