AirCon trouble in 07 Camry?

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. My issue is that the Air Conditioning only turns on sometimes. Randomly usually. My car has a screen that shows the speed and temperature controls and those show up as if the air was on but nothing comes from the vents. When it does work it stays on as long as I don’t shut the car off (often after it worked one day it’ll continue to work for a couple days). I have noticed a couple times I had to hit the breaks really hard and it randomly kicked on. I usually leaving it “on” even if it isn’t working because sometimes it’ll just finally turn on. My thought is some kind of loose connection.? Just as an added note: Once the air actually starts to work I have full control over speed and temperature. The only issue is it just won’t turn on sometimes. Any ideas? Or maybe any where I can start to try and trouble shoot. Thank you in advance! 

• Dan

Check for tight, clean connections at the blower motor, blower motor module, and the a/c compressor. Any sign of a brown or melted spade terminal will be a problem.

The blower motor is probably working intermittently. If the blower motor doesn't work the AC compressor will not engage.

Maybe it senses the cabin temperature as being within that range so is not going to frost you.  Crank the settings Lower than comfortable and see it that causes it to WORK.

Car just thinks it is smarter than you.

Try running the AC in manual mode (not AUTO).  Set temperature and set fan speed manually.  If this works, the AUTO mode is bad.

No joy, Locate the blower motor (usually under the dash, passenger side).  Disconnect the electrical connector to the motor.  Spray contact cleaner (sold in car parts stores) on the connector and the receptacle on the motor.  Reconnect the connector and make sure it is connected properly by tugging it lightly after reconnecting.  Go for a test drive and see if it fixes your problem. 

No joy, the controller could have bad connections.  Pull the controller panel and do the same thing with the connectors to it (clean the connectors and reseat).  Check wiring to see if there are issues with it. 

Nothing works see a mechanic with a dealer level scanner to check for AC trouble codes.  Good luck.