Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 month ago

I want to form a band. How should I go about doing so?

So... as you can see. I want to form a band. I'm looking for a singer, guitarist, and drummer.I'm 19 going on 20, black, female.  I am a college sophomore hoping to join or at least form a band by the time I get out of college.  I'm into alternative/indie music, classic rock, grunge, and pop rock when it comes to rock music Other genres I like are R&B, trap, and Soundcloud rap. Artists I'm into are Nat and Alex Wolff, Mitski, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, and Drake. I want my band to have a sound like Prince and the Revolution once did. I'm currently learning the bass guitar that I bought when I was 14 so I can have a place in the band that I may form.  I've played piano and cello since the fourth and fifth grade. I stopped playing piano when I was about 15 because I wasn't really good at it. I'm going at reading notes and music theory though. I do consider myself a songwriter because I write my own songs. Singing could be for me but I'm shy when it comes to that. Anyways, How should I go about doing forming a band?

You can use social media like Facebook asking for local singers,guitarists,etc or go old school and place an ad at a newspaper they can post it online and put in in the actual physical paper.

The easiest way is to reach out to people, especially people you are close to, and see who’s interested. This is how I formed two bands in high school and how one would’ve been formed if the drum kit were available to everyone.

Don’t just be like “you wanna be in a band? Cool.” You want to know what kind of music they’re into and what sort of music they want to perform, as well as what instrument(s) they play. If they click well, they’d be a good fit for a band.

Since you’re in college, if you use social media and have college friends on there, reach out and ask if anyone’s interested in forming a band with you. Even though we’re in the middle of a virus, you can still virtually play music with one another.

If you have any other questions, feel free to respond! Best of luck!

• Kathy

Find people who are musicians who would want to join with you.