Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

My car ac has cold air but the air wont blow out. Does it cost a lot to fix?

I was talking to a lady on the phone from the car shop and she said it would maybe cost $120 to replace the ac unit instead of fixing the problem. It seems so cheap. I'm not sure if I heard her right.

I was gonna ask my stepdad but hes not been so motivated recently. I was thinking of just taking it to a shop cuz it's so hot outside 

*unmotivated 

It's a Chrysler voyager

2003 so it's a little bit of an old car

The blower motor is the problem...not the "AC unit". 

LPG within the car. Benefits of use

The use of LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) is among the effective measures that can be taken to save the environment and fuel use of vehicles.

The use of LPG gas instead of diesel or petrol has become worldwide. Let's find out what are the benefits of using LPG inside a car.

The first benefit of using LPG is our environment. Because of the low presence of carbon and other chemicals, cars that run upon LPG emit 50% less carbon than diesel or petrol cars. Consequently the environment is much less polluted

• fuzzy

Most likely culprit is the resistor that controls the fan speed. Typically $30 & accesible with a screwdriver, often behind the glovebox.

As others have already said make & model will get you a much more accurate answer.

how do you know if the air is cold if the fan isn't blowing it?

answer me this...how do YOU KNOW that there is cold air?  Most of the system is just pipes that direct the cold air to various parts of the car on the dashboard. With little doors that open or remain shut depending on what you want.  If you have FORCED AIR HEATING IN YOUR HOUSE (MEANING natural gas, propane or heating oil furnaces (maybe even coal fired units though those are OLD houses so am not sure how the heat is moved around the house.

Google up forced air furnace and you will see the heating unit and then a bunch of 4" pipes that lead to every room in the house.  In the room you can open or close the heating vent...so the heat does not come through that pipe.

. AC works the same way using the heating vent pipes to send out cool air.  You have controls on the dash that can direct the cool to go to the feet or to the face...just as if it were heat.    Sometimes those little doors don't open or are snagged closed. 

.

. Just using the output control fan(low, med,high) crank it to high and you should hear a whistling sound as it is blowing hard AGAINST A CLOSED DOOR.   If you hear nothing, then the fan motor is not running.  (That is the same fan that will supply heat in the winter.- which matters if you live where it snows).

.

Now bend down and find the fuse box and find the FAN fuse. Check it.  It could be burnt through.  Get the same size fuse and put in and try again.  If you get cool air blowing, you blew the fuse.   If the fuse does burn out again then there is a problem with the fan motor. It is worn out.  Cost maybe $50 and you swapping them old one for a reconditioned one(which is the same as new except the cost is much less)

.

I got mine out of a car at the junk yard and it worked for YEARS. Cost me $5.

That is just a guess. You did not state year or make of car or any accurate information I can narrow it down to.  Your Loss.

I believe you heard wrong. $120 to replace the blower motor sounds reasonable.

$120 won't even pay the labor to take out the parts of the AC, which is working fine if the air is cold.

Note: If you can handle a wrench, you should be able to physically replace the blower yourself.

It would be more helpful to know the symptoms of your ac failure rather than that your stepdad has not been motivated recently.

MOST cars have a cheap little 'chip' that controls what speed the blower is on AND it's usually easy to get at ............

$120 is probably replacing the blower, not replacing the AC unit. Replacing the AC unit is $2,000 at least.

• Scott

Replace the cabin air filter behind your glove box.