What is the scientific fact for the movie in Independent Day  Resurrection?

From the movie Independence Day resurrection the mother ship blast a hole in the Atlantic Ocean. In the movie and book the ship was moments away from striking the earth core. First question about how much of the earth Ocean would it take to fill that hole is it possible the whole Atlantic Ocean would be drained to fill that whole? Second question.  After the light drill stop working is it possible the earth core still could have breached to fill the wound just like blood does.

Final question including  the whole in Africa  how will these two wounds effect the movie earth  Magnetic feel.

I didn't see the movie.  I saw the original, and it was mediocre, and since sequels are usually much worse than originals, I skipped it.

1) Depending how deep and wide the hole was, yes, all of Earth's water could EASILY fit inside a hole in the mantle with no trouble.  The Earth's crust is 50km thick on average, 20km at the ocean floors.  The mantle is 2900km.  The deepest part of the Atlantic is about 8km deep.  So this is a fairly THIN layer of water over ALOT of rock.  So if the hole was wide and deep, yes, it could drain all of the water.  And realize the oceans ARE ALL CONNECTED.  So eventually, all of the water except for a handful of very deep spots would flow down that hole.  Of course, that would take a PHENOMENALLY long time for that to happen as the water needs to flow from very far away.

2) Ehhhh, I don't think so, but it's hard to say.  The mantle is soft rock, but it's not MOLTEN.  At least, not near the surface.  The further down you go, the more melty.  The outer core is molten AND under a lot of pressure, but also tends to be made up of heavier elements, and is being pulled toward the center. The inner core is solid.  If a hole were suddenly punched all the way to the inner core...would the pressure push the magma out?  Would it solidify along the way?  I'm not that sure.  The hole definitely would heal over geologic time frames, but would it be like puss oozing from a wound to fill it up?  I'm not sure.

3)  The magnetic field is created by the rotation of the core.  I wouldn't expect a simple hole to endanger that.

• martin

The magnetic field would be greatly affected with such a large chunk of Earth gone.  Although some earth from under the Ocean floor would fall into the open hole, it wouldn't be enough to round out the surface of the Earth as before.  Since water moves faster than soil, the water of the Ocean would quickly flow into the hole, leaving the shorelines of the continents far out away from the land that used to border on the oceans.  Oceans would be smaller because they filled the gigantic hole.