Insurance company read wrong miles on my totaled car? Should I tell them?

I got the report for my totaled car from the othet persons insurance. Everything was acurate except the miles. They say it is about 50,000 less of what was actually on it.

Should I be quiet and pocket the extra money or should I just be honest?

Let's be honest & tell them. It may not make a difference to them. But, if you do, the insurance adjuster may lose a job.

• Kaz

If you didn't give them the wrong mileage and it's not a significant difference in the value I wouldn't bother.  Most people don't pay attention to that - they just cash the check.

It is irrelevant. There is no extra money.

They just look at the age of the car and that is the money you get.

Don't worry about it.  You're not really getting any 'extra' money, and you won't get into any trouble.  Plus or minus a few thousand miles on the odometer doesn't make a huge difference at all.  A dealership will tell you it matters, but only when they're buying a trade-in.  

Here's what happened:  Whatever damage was done to your vehicle, the appraiser couldn't get an accurate odometer reading.  That happens a lot, so they just take an educated guess based on the average annual mileage people drive and the condition of whatever is left of the vehicle.  The condition is a much bigger factor than the actual mileage, and an appraiser can find telltale signs of condition even if there's only a burned out shell left to look at.

You were not asked to swear to anything or even fill anything out, right ?

I would probably do nothing. But not spend the excess because they might come back for it.

You would have to find out if they used the correct miles when doing the evaluation then made a typographical error when filling out the form.  I personally would let the insurance company know.  

• May

No one should be able to tell you what to do.  That is your call.

Make the call so you can sleep better.

I would tell them, but I'm an honest person who believes in karma.

If the accident was your fault, or partly your fault, then it's the report that YOUR  insurance company makes that matters.