Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

Can my GP prescribe me another tablet?

I’m 22 and have a massive phobia of needles, I’ve had this since I was 7. I’ve been given CBT and my last session is on Tuesday(it’s been phone calls because of corona). The CBT hasn’t helped me one little bit, I’ve done everything the therapist has told me to do and still feel the exact same. Before the CBT started my doctors gave me 4mg of Diazapam (need a blood test). The diazapam didn’t work it literally had no effect on me, the nurse reckons it’s because my anxiety was that high my brain was fighting the tablets. Then about 2 weeks later my doctor prescribed me 9mg of diazepam but that didn’t work either. I’ve still not got the blood test done and I really need it. Is there another tablet they can prescribe me? I’m from the UK.

Benzodiazepines all pretty much have the same effect as each other. You could ask to be prescribed a different one, such as lorazepam, to see if it makes any difference but make sure you have someone with you to make sure you get home safely. The problem with benzos is that some people have a paradoxical reaction to them and the higher the dose you take the worse your anxiety becomes. Also, make you that you give the tablets enough time to get into your system before your appointment. You can buy promethazine (Phenergan) over the counter that's sold for travel sickness and insomnia and one 25mg tablet usually knocks most people out if they're new to it and it is prescribed in a hospital setting for anxiety. They do sell 10mg tablets for children so you could try finding the right dose for you. You could also try seeing is over the counter opioids help you relax as well. Solpadeine Max is the strongest over the counter painkiller and if you don't have any tolerance 2 of them should send you loopy. Entonox (aka laughing gas) is a safe and reliable medication that will relax you, make you dissociate slightly and it's pain relieving. It is given to children when they're scared of needles and the effects wear off in seconds so you can drive afterwards. If your GP surgery doesn't have entonox you can ask to be referred to your local hospital for the blood test.