Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to give a child a name outside of your ethnic background?

My husband and I are both of northern European causcasion ancestry but I love the name Xiomara, for a little girl. It means battle ready. I just love it. With the way things are going now I just wonder if it's going to offend people.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Dont worry if it "offends people".  Its absolutely unique (unlike my name David), and so it could be an advantage for her.  It also gives her a goal to live up to right?

• F
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

West Indians used to give their children “typical” British names like Winston. 

It was so common, you instantly knew a Winston would be of West Indian descent.

• 4 weeks ago

Name your child whatever you want. I know a:

Caucasian Drake

Caucasian Tyrel

Black Amber 

Mixed Braylin

• Marie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you like something why are you worried about offending someone? Who cares what they think

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

If I were you I wouldn't stop myself from naming my child Xiomara just because it might offend people. I would stop myself because that's a silly name.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go for it!  Mine is anodyne enough to say aloud soundwise but it means "pleaser of men" like some sort of dancing girl.  "Battle ready" is much better.  Most people just go by the sound of a name these days anyways.

• 1 month ago

This-is-America.-Our-citizens-come-from-all-over-the-world--and-so-do-our-names.-We-have-black-kids-with-Irish-names-like-Sean-and-Patrick,-Italian-kids-with-French-names-like-Michelle-and-Danielle,-etc.-At-some-point-they-all-become-American-names.-Xiomara-is-a-pretty-name,-so-use-it-if-you-like.

• 1 month ago

Xiomara is Spanish. No idea what "North European caucasian ancestory" is supposed to mean. You're American presumably. Why would having a Spanish name offend anyone, anywhere?

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why would it be wrong?

• 1 month ago

I don't see why it would offend anyone. However, your child is going to have to spell her name and listen to it being mispronounced all her life. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.