i have a gallon of pure blackberry juice and i want to try and make some wine - now what ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Look up a recipe for blackberry wine.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Google is your friend. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Use google, search for a blackberry wine recipe and follow the the instructions.

• 4 weeks ago

I've never made wine from blackberry juice - all the recipes I've followed use actual fruit.

This is guesswork mainly but I would suggest that you dilute it 50:50 with water and make two gallons. For each gallon you'll need a kilo of sugar, a teaspoonful of citric acid or the juice of a lemon, a teaspoonful of yeast nutrient and a teaspoon of wine yeast.

Use two glass demijohns but fill each one only half full to begin with or else they will overflow. Seal with a bung with an airlock. Keep in a warm (not hot) place and top up after a few days when the fermentation is less vigorous.

After three or four weeks fermentation should have finished. Rack into a clean contained and add two crushed campden tablets or 1/4 teaspoonful of sodium metabisulphite (it's the same stuff).

Ideally add finings but if you leave it long enough it should clear. I filter my wines but it's not essential. Once clear, it can be racked again, leaving the sediment behind, and bottled. Best left for a couple of weeks but homemade wine doesn't necessarily keep well.

Personally, I'm not that keen on blackberry wine but it's a popular wine to make.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The best book I have found is by Berry (appropriate), First Steps in Home Winemaking. Alas, it is hard to find. Try winwmakermag.com and click on country wines.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.