Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Are ear piercings appropriate for work? (Medical field)?

I'm going to college soon, and I'm planning to be in the medical field. But I want some more piercings on my ears, and I was wondering if I would need to take them out for work. I have my earlobes pierced (which I know is okay), but I also want a helix and industrial piercing on each ear. Would that be unprofessional?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I really don't think so, but you might think about asking older nurses what their hiring manager thinks.  Make it clear that you're just thinking about going into the field, and you would like to get a sense of the professional culture.  Good luck!

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've seen non emergency nurses with this kind of piercing and all kinds of techs and such who don't have to adhere to clean room policies with similar jewelry. So it kind of depends on where in the medical realm you hope to work. You might not want to deal with that if you're planning to work in surgery or in a NICU or oncological setting where being sterile is a requirement. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would just get them, they'll let you know if they dont like them

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ask your professor. The university may have their own dress code for clinical rotation.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Chances are there would be a certain dress code protocol in the medical environment in which you work, so best to keep your piercings to the earlobes only when in that setting, and enjoy your helix and industrial piercings when away from the workplace.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I work in the medical/healthcare area.

Depends on what your job is and where you work.

Industrial piercing not so good at work, but it may depend on your boss and job.

Helix may be ok, depending on your boss and job, as long as earring is small.

A few colleagues have helix piercings.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.