Is there a book out there that can teach me to program and build a video game at the same time?

• Chris

A second vote for Python3 and PyGame. Probably the easiest way to get into programming.

It's going to be a long and rocky road though.

I used '3D Game Programming for Kids - Chris Strom' when I was learning java, it was actually really informative and helped me even though I'm not a child :)

Maybe, depending on what you have in mind when you say "video game". If you mean a 3-D interactive game that people would pay $60+ for, then no.  That's not happening in any one book.  Take a look at the credits of your favorite game to get an idea of how much time and work is involved, and how many different skills are needed.

If you want to get an introduction to programming, with game development as a the primary application, then there's a series of books (reasonably priced and free to read online) at the Invent With Python site that are a pretty good start.  The sequence I'd suggest is:

Automate the Boring Stuff With Python -- basic programming skills

Invent Your Own Computer Games With Python -- mostly text games, intro to graphics

Making Games with Python and Pygame -- intro to 2D graphical game programming

All of these can be found at inventwithpython.com, the author's website.

Another free resource, after you get some basic skills (in Python or in any of several other programming languages) is a competitive programming site like codingame.com, hackerrank.com or geeksforgeeks.org.  These (and others) have lots of practice problems roughly rated by difficulty.  (I'm not recommending the competitions, but some people like that sort of thing.)

CodinGame might be expecially interesting to you in that the medium and higher difficulty problems are presented in a game-loop context.  You'll have a better idea of what that means after working with pygame for a few projects.