Made error amending my taxes 1040x?

So in column B, it's supposed to say increase $3000 (received a W-2 after filing). Instead it says $0 which means Column C (the new total) is incorrect. So now it says I get a refund when I actually owe. Should I still turn in the forms even though it's wrong?

• Eva

Hell NO!  You are filing the amendment to correct an error, not compound it.  Redo the amendment CORRECTLY and pay what you owe.  Next time make sure you have all your paperwork before you file.

No, of course not, you need to do it properly.

Don't send incorrect forms . Fix them.

• Judy

no - fix it and then turn in th correct one

If you haven't mailed it in, DON'T.   The IRS clerks are overworked and might process it as shown.  You need to fix it.

Coulmn A is what you originally reported.

Coulum B would show AGI change of $3000.   Column C shows corrected income.  Ditto for the other changes.

After you calculate new tax, you effectively compare the increase in rax with the new withholding.  If the withholding is more, you get an additional refund.  If less, you owe.

• martin

Turn in your correct amount unless it's too late.  If it's too late, make an estimated payment on Sept. 15 and Jan. 15 next year, to try to cover the missing 3000 income (just estimate) - or perhaps call the IRS and explain, since they actually are pretty nice over the phone.