How do you change an E - 1st guitar string on an acoustic guitar?

Every time I try to replace it, the string snaps and breaks. My problem is every time I try to tighten it up by winding it up it just snaps, the instructions on paper and online don't tell you when to stop winding. What am I doing wrong? I've gone through two E-1st strings trying to replace it and I'm getting annoyed, frustrated and angry. And don't tell me to take it to a music store or guitar center because they'll charge money which I don't have right now.

Leave some slack usually an inch and a half will get you two wraps around. I’ll usually hold down string with my right thumb right at entrance it went in peg making sure it winds above my thumb but leaving that 1-1/2”slack

. It makes your strings easier to stretch and loosen

It sounds to me that you may need to file the saddle that you lay the string over on the bridge. Sometimes a little peice of sharp metal that's hard to see and everytime you replace the string that little sharp price of metal cuts your string. Just take a very fine file and and do a little at a time so you don't destroy the saddle. Hope this helps.

Sometimes the open string give the wrong reading on the tuner. Press on the 12th fret and strum the string for a more accurate reading. For my guitars, it's the second octave higher.  What I mean by that is when the strings are very loose, the tuner won't read anything. Then when you are tightening it more, the strings will be loose, but the tuner will pick up notes. Keep tightening it through the musical alphabet (the lower octave) till you get to A at the next higher octave. At that point the string should be much tighter. Then go from A to E while pressing on the 12th fret.

Step 1 is to get a clip-on tuner, turn it on, and clip it to the headstock. Now install the string and start tightening it while looking at the tuner, stopping when it gets to the tone E.

Source(s): Playing acoustic guitar for 58 years

You stop winding when the string reaches the correct pitch E. Go much beyond that and it will snap.

If you understand how to tune your guitar - you should understand how tight to make the string.

When you put on the new string - give it just enough tension that you can get the sound from the string. Now tighten slowly until the sound is the correct pitch to be "E".If it is breaking before you reach the correct pitch - then you are threading too much of the string through the tuning key before you start turning.You can use a tuning fork to help you match the pitch.There are electronic tuning devices that can tell you when your strings are at the right pitch.  There is all kinds of online sources for tuning help too.Remember that it is also very common for new strings to go out of tune fairly quickly.  A new string will have a "stretching" period in which it will need re-tuned frequently before it finally holds the correct pitch for a decent amount of time.

You should stop winding when it reaches the correct pitch.  It should not snap before that.  If it does, you need somebody there with you to see what is wrong.