Which is grammatically correct - “who/whom do you think will win”?

Please explain which is correct but more importantly why. I am confused.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Would you say "whom will win"?  No, because "whom" is an object, not a subject.

So, "Who* do you think will win?" is correct.

• 4 weeks ago

Whom is for the middle of sentences.

• 4 weeks ago

When you look at the sentence carefully you can see that "do you think" can be removed without changing the basic meaning.

Who will win, do you think? In your opinion, who will win?

You don't "think him will win". So you don't use "whom". You think "he" or "she" will win - so you use "who".

Who do you think will win?BUTWhom do you think likely to win?This is a different structure.In this sentence you can't remove 'do you think', because "Whom likely to win?" isn't a sentence. "I think him/her likely to win".

You have a choice of structure:Who [do you think] IS likely to win? = 'who'orWhom do you think likely to win? = 'whom'.

• 4 weeks ago

who will win, do you think?  I almost fell for the "whom" because it is the object idea, but it is not the object of do you think, it is the subject of the clause "xxx will win". 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The sentence appears to have two vital parts, firstly.. Who will win? and secondly "do you think". It's apparently a complex sentence "do you think " the principal clause and "who will win?" subordinate adjective clause.

Another sentence. He's the man who I saw last night.

The above description is only my assumption based on my little knowledge.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks ago

It helps if you expand it and turn it into a sentence.

You think that (someone) will win.

There are two clauses. The subject of the first clause is "you". The subject of the second clause is "someone", which gets replaced by "who" in a question.  So it's "Who do you think will win?"

• 4 weeks ago

i think its okay either way

• Gladys
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Who do you think will win 

because 'who' is the subject

• Rick
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

WHOM do you think will win ............................

TRUMP 2020 !! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

• 4 weeks ago

Who.  If you can replace the word with “he”' or “'she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom. So rearrange the sentence - is it "will he win" or "will him win"?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.