trying to put a car raido in a rv?

i have a 5th wheel rv trying to put a 12 volt car raido in the wall i have a ac/dc converter will it work were do i get a ground thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A ground for what?

• 1 month ago

I think you can use any metal surface as a ground, as long as it's connected to a bunch of other metal stuff. You should be dealing with a positive, negative connection, and a ground wire which can go to any metal surface. Usually on a car, the negative battery terminal is connected to the frame, so ground usually leads back to the negative battery terminal, but not always, I think.

• 1 month ago

How do you propose to power it?  From the battery?  Then just wire it for that.  From an a/c shore connection?  Then yes, an inverter will do the trick. Get the right one.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1) Ground to a steel structural member. Run a wire if you have to. 

2) Probably, but whether it will work depends on the power draw of the stereo and the power capacity of the converter. (In amps). 

3) But why wouldn't you just wire it for 12 volts? You're over-complicating it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i would get a mechanic to help you out with that

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

With questions like that you may want to have an auto electrician install it, you can't even spell radio......and have no idea how to ground a 12 volt system- neither of which is particularly difficult to figure out using google.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The converter will give you a ground.  You simply connect the leads of a multimeter to the converter output and read voltage. If voltage reads positive, the red lead connection is the power wire and the black lead connection is the ground and vice versa if the voltage reading is negative.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.