Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is it safe to stay in a bedroom with rotted wood?

I'm moving back in with my parents for a while, noticed that my old bedroom has windows that have started to completely rot and have a ton of mold. Hasn't been treated for years.

It will probably take a while before they will be replaced. Is it safe to sleep here temporarily or will I risk my own health? And is it even worth trying to clean some of it? Thanks

No do not stay in there, call a handyman to remove and replace the rotted wood and try and find out why it happened in the first place, is water getting in somewhere? did they forget to paint the wood? termites? id be buying a dehumidifier too to keep the room warm and dry as much as possible to reduce the spread of mould. 

That window has not been opened ergo the rot and mold. Even opening it a bit and leaving it open 24/7/365 will get rid of the mold and dry up the rot. fresh air does that. Cheapest way to do it.  As they are rotten, then the windows have to be replaced.  It is wood mold, not people mold.  

. Until it is absolutely dry you can't paint it. to seal up the wood so it does not absorb more water from INSIDE THE HOUSE. That is why the window must remain open a bit(even 1/8")  Maybe after a full week or 2 of dry weather, hit it with KILZ which is a shellac(get it in a spray can) Then after the KILZ like at least 4 hours paint it with white paint on top.  Done for now and the window remains open a bit otherwise it will continue to rot.

• A

put on a mask and gloves and clean off the mold with a proper cleaning solution

the mold will slowly wear off (growing faster than it decays, however) and get into the air meaning that you're putting your health at risk because you will, without a doubt, inhale it. 

• Edwena

You might try sealing it with some urethane varnish.  I would be suspicious of rotting wood.   You might look for more damage than just windows.  Like roof leaks, down through the wall, to the window.  There has to be more damage that just what you see.