Bianca asked in PetsFish · 4 weeks ago

Help :( What’s wrong with my fish tank? ?

My 3 gallon betta fish tank has been cloudy for about two weeks since I did a water change. When I did the water change, I put water conditioner in the water, washed the decor, drift wood and substrate with hot water. I also have a filter for the water but it still is cloudy. 

I tested the water with test strips and it says the ph is 8.5 and the alkaline is really high. Do I do another water change or buy low mineral water? 

The drift wood has also been getting some white fungus on it but I read online that it’s completely normal and harmless so I left it for the most part but during the water change I did clean some off. 

I’ve been having bettas for 4 years and never experienced this problem and online recommends me to do about everything. Can anybody help me with this? 

You need to test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.  You may have cleaned too much at once, and it may have started a mini cycle.  If the test results are anything other then zero nitrite, zero nitrite, but Not zero nitrate, "you want nitrate to stay at 20-30 ppm or less but it will never likely be zero. 

You should consider a larger tank of 5 gallons and up, The larger the tank, the more stable everything will be.