Does anyone know the name of this book?
I remember I had to read this book in school once. For some reason, I randomly started thinking about it today. I don't remember much, but here's what I do remember:
1. Some kind of futuristic society.
2. Families couldn't have kids; rather, women were employed by the government to become pregnant, and then families were assigned a child. After 4 births, the women are sent to do hard labor.
3. Either the government gave you a job, or you could pick a job, but that was the only job you could ever have (don't remember if it was both or one or the other).
4. A female character wanted to be a birth mother, but her parents called her out on it.
It may have been a short story rather than a whole book.
- 3 months ago
That sounds like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, or (as others have said) 1984. Maybe even A Brave New World.
- Sir CausticLv 73 months ago
Yes, I'm going to say "1984" too. Mostly because I like the answer so much. Hope this helps, and all that.
- Dr. MorrisonLv 63 months ago
The book sounds like 1984.