Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Does anyone know the name of this book?

I remember I had to read this book in school once. For some reason, I randomly started thinking about it today. I don't remember much, but here's what I do remember:

1. Some kind of futuristic society.

2. Families couldn't have kids; rather, women were employed by the government to become pregnant, and then families were assigned a child. After 4 births, the women are sent to do hard labor.

3. Either the government gave you a job, or you could pick a job, but that was the only job you could ever have (don't remember if it was both or one or the other).

4. A female character wanted to be a birth mother, but her parents called her out on it.

It may have been a short story rather than a whole book.

That sounds like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, or (as others have said) 1984. Maybe even A Brave New World.

Yes, I'm going to say "1984" too. Mostly because I like the answer so much. Hope this helps, and all that.

The book sounds like 1984.