Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 4 weeks ago

Why doesn't it rain?

The last few days it has gotten very dark as if severe rains are coming. The weather people all predicted heavy rain. It thunders a bunch but the clouds go away without a drop. Why doesn't it rain?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

Often if there is not enough low-level moisture and warm cloud bases but there is enough instability in the mean-layer of the atmosphere to form cumulonimbi and create lightning and thunder, you can have thunder and lightning but no rain. 

Sometimes this happens with anvil clouds that cool and create good charge separation to cause lightning and thunder but do not hold too much moisture for precipitation to fall.

This happens a lot in the Rocky Mountain region where orthographic lift causes warm air to rise over the mountains but sometimes with little moisture in the lifted air (not enough water droplets bouncing up and down in the CBs), so when lightning and thunder occurs, you think it will rain with the thunder but you don't feel a drop.

Weather experts call this phenomenon "dry lightning" or "dry thunderstorms" when this happens. 

• 2 weeks ago

When the rain does come; I always say, "Thank God for the rain."

• TQ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

just b/c it doesn't rain on you doesn't mean it doesn't rain ...

• 4 weeks ago

This is NOT uncommon this time of year. It rains all around you, sometimes close enough that you can SMELL the wet dirt and pavement smell of just rained on ground and ozone on the wind, but it does NOT rain where YOU are. This happens all the time in my mother's hometown in the Oklahoma panhandle and greater New Orleans and the greater Oklahoma City area. It can pour buckets a mile away and hardly a drop falls where I am. Parking lots can create a small heat island effect and large metropolitan areas have BIG heat island effects. 

Eve tally it a will rain, likely when string enough gradient between high air pressure and low air pressure system that moves fast enough and doesn't stall.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Well we finally got some .  3/4 in on one place and 4.23 on the other . That will keep the grasshoppers fed .

• 4 weeks ago

Due to HAARP Weather Control.

• Rick
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I live in the desert, so rain to me means washed-out roads, power outages and flash floods.  so be careful what you wish for ............

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.