Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Why do people care about status?

When a man and a woman want to rent a place together, why do landlords ask if they are a couple or friends or etc?

Wouldn't you want to know who is renting from you?  A landlord needs to run background checks, credit checks, reference checks - wouldn't he sound stupid if he didn't have a clue if the people were married or not or where they came from!

• G R

It can help the landlord get an idea of what type of people are moving in, stability, longevity....

Because married couples had a commitment to each other and it’s not so easy to leave.

• Erik

Cause boyfriends and girlfriends break up all the time, and when one wants to move out, the other one might not be able to afford to stay.  If they're just friends that less likely to happen.

Source(s): common sense
  • Maxi

Marriage is a commitment, so they commited to each other legally they are far more likely to legally commit to the home they rent... bf/gf or friends have made no legal commitment and the fact is  they have avoided legal commitment and a rental contract is a legal commitment....experience and statistics show they are far more likely to breach the rental contract

Because married people are legally committed to another.  It's an indicator they intend to stay together and have determined they are compatible for life. 

Friends and those who are dating are more likely to decide they don't like their situation and bail.   This is a pain in the butt for the landlord. 

• Scott

Generally speaking, a married couple is more stable and less likely to cause issues than two friends. It makes a difference to landlords.

Because they aren't married.

If they stop getting along, often the landlord has to deal with the aftermath. 

• Judith

Married couples are more likely to stay together and live there longer.  Too many unmarried couples break up.  Also with unmarried couples or just friends if one moves out the one left often can't manage the rent alone which means the LL will have a turnover in vacancies more than they would with a married couple.  Vacancies mean less income to the LL.  I doubt that most places ask about that anymore.

Here's a piece of not so "ancient" history you'll find hard to believe (in fact I STILL find it hard to believe) - in 1972 I was evicted from my apartment because of "immoral" behavior - my boyfriend stayed overnight and a neighbor reported it.  Also around 1968 or 1969 Michigan had a law on the books that it was against the law for two people of the opposite sex to live together if they weren't married.  I know that because a neighbor of mine had parents who reported her arrangement to the police and they could no longer live together as a result.  Things have changed a bit, haven't they?  And I wonder if that old law is still in effect.

• Lili

I was never asked that when my husband and I were renting apartments before we bought our first home.  Perhaps the landlords just made assumptions.

However, it makes some sense they'd want to know. A married couple is more likely to stay together, whereas with "just friends," or a boyfriend or girlfriend, one party might move out and someone else might move in. That could present problems, legal -- vis-a-vis the lease-- and otherwise.

And married couples are considered to be more stable and reliable in general.