Is it legal to burn Mozart and other similarly old authors on CD? How's it going?

I actually read the question as meaning literally burning CDs. Probably I've just been hearing too much about destroying works of art by white men who weren't total saints in terms of 21st century morality.

Only in Scotland, Iceland and Mozambique. In other, less civilized countries it is illegal to burn classical composers as it's considered a fire hazard and detrimental to the well-being of private property.

It's going well, thanks. How's it going on your end?

It depends on the law where you live.

Mozart's music is in the public domain (out of copyright), so anyone is free to perform it and make their own recordings of it. But those recordings have a separate copyright (which might have expired, if the recording is old). Generally, it's not legal for you to make copies of a recording where someone else owns the copyright unless you have their permission, though it might be legal if the copies are just for your own personal use.

For personal use, yes. For resale, no. 

Source(s): A clue. Get one.
  • Speed

Bruno, all recordings of music written by Mozart but recorded after 1923 are protected by copyright. If you own a CD and want to rip it to your computer, that's fine. But you cannot burn it to a CD that belongs to anyone other than the owner of the source CD.

So if I buy a CD of Eine kliene nachtmusik recorded in 1994  by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, and I rip it to my computer so I can play it while I write sonnets at the coffee house (being courteous and using headphones), that's legal. I can burn a copy to play in my car, because car break-ins happen all the time where I'm parked,  so the original remains safe at my home.

But I can't give that copy I burned to my sister or my friend. It's legally required to be only for my personal use, because I'm the person who bought the original source of the recording.

• Ludwig

No. Nobody uses CD's any more.  It is legal to record your own performances, but to pirate a copy of somebody else's Mozart concert is against the rules.

Mozart was not an author.