What do we mean when we say I don't have the skills to live independently? What does it mean?

I don't know, precisely, given that I have never made such a statement (so cannot be the "we" who says it), but the sentence would be intended to mean that the person is not trained to do things for themselves with regard to things that living independently would require.  Note that skills are not the same as capabilities.  Many people possess the skills from a lifetime of independent living but lose the physical capabilities to perform the necessary tasks (age-related loss of mental and physical abilities), and thus are no longer capable of independent living.

It may refer to the requisite qualifications to do a job caused by the reasons only known to the speaker.Also, physical deformity may compel someone to think one to be skill less.

• RP

It means the person saying it does not feel able to live her/himself.