corey asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 month ago

In blackjack, if I have 9 or less and the dealer has 5 or less,  should hit, or should I stand?

I know 5 or less is a bust card for the dealer,  but sometimes it's not. I dont want other people at the table mad at me if I take a hit. Your opinions please. 

You should never stand on a 9 or less, because you can't possibly bust.

If you have a 9 and the dealer shows a 5, you should double down.

• Jay P

If you have 11 or less, you always hit because you can't bust.  Always!

The bigger question is if you should double down or not.  In the case of a player's 9 against a dealer's 5, the answer is yes.  Basic strategy suggest you double down on a 9 if the dealer shows a 3, 4, 5, or 6.

If your total is nine or less, you hit 100% of the time.  You can't possibly bust.  Who cares if other people get mad.  

If your hand totals 11 or less you should never stand, regardless of the dealer's up card. You should either double down or hit depending on what you have and what the dealer has.

You can get a basic strategy chart which will show you the best choice in any situation and take it with you to the casino. You can find a copy on the internet with a simple google search.

Always hit when it’s 10 or less. 

• abdul

If you have 9 or less, you should hit. You can't bust no matter what your next card is.