Co-worker wants to come clothes shopping with me?

She admires my clothes and when I told her I get most from charity shops, she said, "Next time let me know and I'll come with you because you have good taste".

Thing is, she's not always reliable, plus she has such a gregarious personality and I'd be like a mouse compared to her if I went out with her after work as I'm introvert. Not only that, but do I mix business with pleasure? I get scared when someone wants to go out with me as I've been hurt by coworkers in the past because of my mild gentle nature and they take advantage of me, but at the same time I'd love to have more people in my life.

• G R

Curious, how old are you?

Most friendships develop due to work and co-workers.  So she is an extrovert and you are introvert, so what.  If you are as timid as you say you are and she as gregarious, yeah you would likely be like a mouse and there is nothing wrong with that.  Two personalities like yours might balance each other out.  She obviously is aware of your personality being coworkers yes, but she is still interested in meeting up with you to go shopping, so the difference in your personalities obviously doesn't bother her.  Keep in mind she is just asking to meet up with you to go shopping that doesn't mean you are "friends" or that you will develop a "friendship" nor do you have to invite her to go with you the next time you go.

How did previous coworkers hurt you?  If you were taken advantage of, that is your fault because you let them.  We all get taken advantage of to a certain extent and hurt periodically that is life.

I think it is to your advantage, provided you like her, to invite her to meet you somewhere by doing so doesn't obligate you to do it again or to be friends.

Those are some very run of the mill details about you. What is your question?

• Daisy

Well, you have some choices.  1.  Just ignore it.  She may be just making conversation by admiring how well you shop.  2.  Go with it. Invite her- maybe meet there so you can leave when you want to.  Do a bit of shopping and show her your strategy. 3.  Go together and make a day of it.  Have lunch when you're done, or treat yourselves to an ice cream or piece of pie to celebrate.

You don't have to be best friends.  Being friendly is nice. If she turns out to be "too much" and overtakes your day, don't go out with her again. 

thats up to you if you want her to go with you or not

• Jerry

She has made an overture, an offer to share an outing with you. If you're not interested then you don't take her up on the offer. 

I think it would be very safe for you to take her up on the offer with something like "Saturday morning I'm going to Salvation Army on 3rd Avenue around 10. I'm usually there for about an hour. Maybe you'll join me." You will each have your own transportation and can leave when the shopping hour is up. Or you can go somewhere for light refreshments. 

It's important to develop the social skills to share little outings with others without letting yourself be taken advantage of. And it's OK for an extrovert and an introvert to share an small outing. If it doesn't go well, you don't have to do it again. 

Who says you have to tell your co-worker when you're going?  If she asks again, say "I forgot to tell you, sorry."  Keep repeating as necessary.

For goodness' sake. Just do it and see how it goes.

If you don't enjoy it you don't have to do it again, but isn't it worth just trying, if you really do want to "have more people" in your life?

• mokrie

The only advise I can give is try being with her once and see how it goes. Then just don't tell her when your shopping again if it doesn't work out. 

u should watch the 1992 movie 'single white female', i think she is planning this in real life, she gradually become u then kill u then take over ur life, only way to protect urself is to put urself in a cocoon of spider webs and wait 3 winters until she give up, 6 winters if she a gypsy, they very powerful