San
San asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Carton or cup of ice cream?

When people say "a carton of ice cream" and "an ice cream cup," do you think they mean the same thing: ice cream in a paper or plastic cup?

Thanks!

• Favourite answer

Carton to me is the 1/2 gallon container you buy at the store. A cup of ice cream would either be a serving of ice cream (from the carton or an ice cream place) or one of those single serve cups of ice cream with the wooden spoons. I wonder if they still make those 😜

If you mean an individual helping, I called it a tub of ice cream. I use the past tense as I have not seen these individual tubs for some years. This refers to preprepared ice cream, these tubs used to be served in cinemas in the intervals, but now most films don't have one, hence the demise. I think some icecream stalls in coastal resorts may still serve individual tubs of soft ice cream, filled on the spot, as an alternative to a cone.

No, there would be several or many cups in a carton of ice cream.

Well I honestly think a carton would be a little too big for some ice cream. Don't you think so? Plus I'm sure eventually the ice cream would leak out of the carton due to it's poor construction. But I much prefer a cup of ice cream. Maybe some syrup, whip cream and a nice cherry on top.