Lois & Peter asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

How do you react with a crying baby on an airplane?

I was in this situation from Seattle to Chicago, a 4hr flight and it was agony all the way. I just sat there and took it. What would you have done?

By putting in the earplugs that I always bring on a plane, or turning up the volume on the earphones, or trying to go to sleep, and hoping the baby gets tired enough to do the same. While I find crying babies very annoying, there is little point in saying anything to the parents. They are also stuck listening to a crying baby and also have the stress of knowing that the baby they presumably love is unhappy, something that doesn't apply to me. I'm sure they would like it to stop crying at least as much as I would, and I know it isn't always possible to do anything about it.

Think of it as free birth control- do you really want to put up with one of those for 25 years?

• dj

Earplugs is about your only option

Nothing you can do apart of using eye plugs.

• F

Not much you can do, babies cry, I’m sure the parents wanted it to stop as much as you did.

Far worse is older kids who kick the back of your seat and the parents do nothing and are abusive when you ask them to make them stop.

• John

I imagine that the parents and even the flight crew need for you to explain to them that there's a baby crying. Maybe even over and over again. I mean, you'd be the only one on the plane who could understand this crucial fact, right?

Ignore it as clearly the mother knows why it is crying and I don't

I enjoy it.  A crying baby is much better than the sound of the engines and even more so complaining adults.

• Orla C

Always bring earplugs. 

It is horrible. But there really isn't anything to be done except be prepared with earplugs.