Is it worth the extra money to rent a truck from Penske rather than U Haul?

I am moving from CA to OH at the beginning of next month with my 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son and will renting and driving a truck.

I have been talking to the rental companies and have narrowed it down to either a 20 foot U Haul or a 22 foot Penske. Both are the smallest truck that has room for all of our stuff & 3 seat belts.

A 20 foot rental from U Haul will cost around $3,033. The truck uses gas and gets around 10 MPG and has a 40 gallon tank. I anticipate spending around $600 on fuel and having to stop at least 6 times to refuel.

A 22 foot truck from Penske will cost around $4,284. The truck uses diesel and gets around 13 MPG and has a 50 gallon tank. I anticipate spending around $510 on fuel being able to stop 2 fewer times to refuel.

The advantages of U Haul seem to be a smaller truck that could be easier to drive and saving around $1,000.

The advantages of Penske seem to be better fuel efficiency, a larger fuel tank, & a roomier cab with more space for the center passenger so my 14 year old could get by there and I could put my 10 year old by the window. I have also heard better things about Penske.

I am interested to hear about experiences anyone has had renting from Penske or U Haul as I am trying to figure out if it will be worth spending the extra money to rent from Penske or if U Haul is the better deal. Is Penske really a better company to rent from and will the extra room in the cab and better fuel efficiency make much of a difference?

• Ron

A U Haul is guaranteed to break down along the way. In all the history of myself and others I know renting one, they will not make the trip without at least one call out to their emergency service.

• Edna

Which ever one you finally decide to rent, be sure it has air conditioning. 

Take whichever one is air conditioned. The Penske truck is more economical though, and it is a long trip. Wyoming is beautiful and Utah is tedious. Colorado is like climbing a ladder that never stops going up. Maybe the boys can sleep in the box,while you sleep in the cab. You'll need to stop a few times along the way and motels are full of bedbugs...the USA has nice highway rest stops. 

People who rented from one are likely to have not rented from the other.  Driving a truck is not fun no matter what ,  2 feet of extra length will not make any difference when driving.  I would personally go with the cheaper, U-Haul.

For traveling that far. I would pick comfort.

You are driving over 20 hrs of driving