Is it worth the extra money to rent a truck from Penske rather than U Haul?

I am moving from CA to OH at the beginning of next month with my 10 year old daughter and 14 year old son and will renting and driving a truck.

I have been talking to the rental companies and have narrowed it down to either a 20 foot U Haul or a 22 foot Penske. Both are the smallest truck that has room for all of our stuff & 3 seat belts.

A 20 foot rental from U Haul will cost around $3,033. The truck uses gas and gets around 10 MPG and has a 40 gallon tank. I anticipate spending around $600 on fuel and having to stop at least 6 times to refuel.

A 22 foot truck from Penske will cost around $4,284. The truck uses diesel and gets around 13 MPG and has a 50 gallon tank. I anticipate spending around $510 on fuel being able to stop 2 fewer times to refuel.

The advantages of U Haul seem to be a smaller truck that could be easier to drive and saving around $1,000.

The advantages of Penske seem to be better fuel efficiency, a larger fuel tank, & a roomier cab with more space for the center passenger so my 14 year old could get by there and I could put my 10 year old by the window. I have also heard better things about Penske.

I am interested to hear about experiences anyone has had renting from Penske or U Haul as I am trying to figure out if it will be worth spending the extra money to rent from Penske or if U Haul is the better deal. Is Penske really a better company to rent from and will the extra room in the cab and better fuel efficiency make much of a difference?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

A U Haul is guaranteed to break down along the way. In all the history of myself and others I know renting one, they will not make the trip without at least one call out to their emergency service.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Which ever one you finally decide to rent, be sure it has air conditioning. 

• 1 month ago

Take whichever one is air conditioned. The Penske truck is more economical though, and it is a long trip. Wyoming is beautiful and Utah is tedious. Colorado is like climbing a ladder that never stops going up. Maybe the boys can sleep in the box,while you sleep in the cab. You'll need to stop a few times along the way and motels are full of bedbugs...the USA has nice highway rest stops. 

• 1 month ago

People who rented from one are likely to have not rented from the other.  Driving a truck is not fun no matter what ,  2 feet of extra length will not make any difference when driving.  I would personally go with the cheaper, U-Haul.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

For traveling that far. I would pick comfort.

You are driving over 20 hrs of driving 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.