Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why do some people eat out daily then complain about being broke?

I hear some of my co workers complaining about how they don't make enough money and how they are broke or whatever but I see these same people coming in everyday with Starbucks coffee or eating out for lunch everyday. Doesn't make sense to me...

They just don't keep track of their small expenses so can't see where their money goes.

Reminds me of an article post I saw on Facebook years ago, about annual passes to Disney Land. Someone asked how much they were, the first reply says the price if $1199, the second comment was the OPs shocked response at the price, and the third comment was from a new commenter who framed the same price as "cup of coffee a day". People don't see their small costs adding up in front of the..

It's like the old cartoon image of looking for holes in your pocket, where did my money go? It was all right here, it must have gotten out somehow. Yes, it got out when you took it out, with you hand, in small amounts every day for the whole year. Change adds up.

Why don't you ask your coworkers? It's them you're wondering about. Nobody on this site could possibly know their reasons for doing anything!

• Edna

I live alone and, Lord knows, I'm usually almost broke. I eat out a lot because it's cheaper for me to eat out than it is to buy all the needed ingredients to cook a meal just for myself. 

They may have no self control. Those who realize that spending wisely can insure a better future. Some are fortunate not to want things that are ephemeral. They crave things that last and can add to their ability to earn.

I feel the same way- I have financial issues, but spend prob $500 a month on alcohol. But it’s fun to go to the bar.

• Zany

Some people are averse to recipes because it tells them what to do. Some people feel that assembling a sandwich and a snack for lunch is beneath them and they deserve to be served.

LMAO. I once worked with this woman who thought she was so clever and constantly told me/treated me like an idiot. She was forever talking about how she struggled financially. I mentioned to another co worker if she was so broke, how could she afford to go out and buy her lunch EVERYDAY? This got back to her. She didn't say anything to me, but I did notice she stopped buying her lunch. I don't know if it just didn't occur to her how wasteful she was - or if she stopped buying her lunch because she realised people were awake up to her 'sympathy wailings' . 

• JJ

Your co-workers may not fully realize that they are spending money getting coffee or eating out for lunch.  

Yes, it's pretty stupid.

But this is not an Etiquette question.

cause theyd rather eat out than save their money