bf wants to play stock and not working, what do i do?

Thoughts on bf who vows not to go back to work but only do stocks for living? He left 90k job to day trading stock and he's been making avg 1k/mo income for 4 months now. Is it a red flag? 

We've been together for 7.5 years, we definitely think about a future together until one day he thinks that working 9-5/climbing up ladders is not the way of life and he wants to find another way to make money without going back to work ever again. He's been winning and losing and he keeps insisting that it takes time and he will not make money right away. He lives with his parents, refused to go to work to at least make money to fund his stock dream. He told me to believe in him. I tried but deep down we all look for a man who can give us a better future. I do have a job but doesnt make as much as he made with his old job. He said stock is the way that can give him a future and able to afford a home.My parents have warned me. They said working your way up slowly while saving money little by little is better than risking your savings for a quick big fortunes. They said money that are easily earned are easily spent. They feared that my future in the long run will not be good if i choose this type of man as a life partner. Deep down I know and I hate the idea of him doing this but I want to support him and want him do the right thing. 

If you were his gf, what would you do in this situation? 

• martin

If you love him and want to marry him, just figure the old saying is true, "A man's got to do what a man's got to do."  Don't nag him.

He is an idiot. No one makes money for long on day trading with an average person's resources. There are no get rich quick schemes. So yes a big red flag.  In fact there are many red flag in your who questions.  The biggest red flag is that you have been together for 7.5 YEARS!  And you still at the point where you  "think about a future"!?  After 7.5 years the future has come and gone, and now you are just wasting time.  Think about a new future with someone who is willing to put in the work and use common sense.

Your idiot boyfriend only makes an average of 12 thousand a year, well below the poverty level.  He is not day "trading" he is day "gambling".  And one bad decision or unexpected market shift and he is done.   Real day traders are already rich (probably by getting paid to invest other people's money) and they invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn fractions of a percent.  They are experts on the market they are trading in, they have expensive computing tools, and they don't work 9-5, they work 4-midnight analyzing thousands of scenarios..You need to get some training and/or education that can give you a career and earn your own way.  I guarantee that you will find someone else who is a little more sensible.