Are landlords responsible for Coronavirus?

Hello,

Ever since the pandemic happened I decided to move out of my apartment because of it and have been paying off my lease for the past 4 months. The apartment in my opinion has a safety hazard where the ventilation system is connected to each and every floor of the apartment. If someone were sick and coughed in the bathroom there was no doubt that it would spread to the other floors seeing as how strong and constant the ventilation system is running for. My apartment complex has charged me for every single month and I have paid every single month but right now I am jobless and have no money and they are charging me more for some BS reason. You guys think there is anyway to challenge them/ even get some of my money back?

• car253

The landlord will sue you for the balance of the lease if you don't pay.   How many months are left on your lease ?    If the landlord sue you, you may be able to Counter sue (sue back) based on if you can prove there is a safety hazard. 

Take lots of photos of the ventilation system NOW.   You may need the photos later in court. 

You are obviously clueless about ventilation/HVAC systems. E.g. exhaust fans must exhaust to exterior. If you cough in your bathroom, it goes to NO other units in the bldg. They don't connect to your unit. Plus you need to disinfect your own interior surfaces anyway. 

You owe for the term of the lease agreement you signed, whether you live there or not. Pay up. No way out of it. Landlord has no liability, but you sure do.

you cannot get ot of paying the money you owe.

• Maxi

No of course not, you don't seem to know how air conditioning systems work, you signed a contract you are legally responsible to pay your rent until end of contract... so get yourself another job and pay your rent or you will be taken to court and sued....and it will cost you more than rent money you owe

They are no more responsible for it than you are.

All you weirdos who are casting about trying to find a way to make money off of others during this pandemic and trying to find someone else to blame need other hobbies. 

Challenge away. You're a time waster--and you'll find out just how much when you start your petty challenge. Stop whining. 

• R P

You signed a lease, and No, management is not obligated to reduce/forgive your rent due to the HVAC system.  The system passed inspection so it was installed per the building codes at that time.

Why would a landlord be responsible for covid?  There's no connection whatsoever.  You are responsible under your lease, whether you are there or on the moon.  READ it so that you understand it.  If you expect to sue calling it a safety hazard, you had better have damages and be prepared to prove it.  You are not entitled to any refund.  Pay according to the terms of your lease and if you want to move out when your lease it up, you can plan on doing that.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You had a lease, you are required to make those payments.  

Bathroom vents extract air to the outside.  So a bathroom ventilation system would be perfectly safe. Central air conditioning does recirculate air, it extracts it, chills it and blows it out but there is a filter between the intake and the output.  I doubt whether you will get anywhere with this one.  The best you can hope for is a delay in making your payments.