Drew asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Can you eat chicken breasts medium rare?

I love a rare sirloin steak. Delicious. I've heard you shouldn't undercook chicken so I've done it probably closer to medium. Just a bit pink in the middle. I'm hoping I haven't overdone it. It's nowhere near as pink as duck is when I eat that. I'm not convinced on the texture. Should I cook it for a shorter time next time?

Short answer no. Long answer nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

No never eat chicken any way but completely don or you will get sick. This applies to any poultry products. You will get food poisoning usually the runs for a number of days. 

• IvaB

Unlike beef,there is no such thing as medium rare when it comes to chicken.It needs to be cooked to an internal temperature,and nothing else is considered safe.That temp is 165-170.

• denise

The general rule is not to eat chicken if its still pink.

The people who are responsible for food safety have given up on keeping chicken slaughter houses free of pathogens and now tell the public to cook chicken to 165° F to kill the bugs they can't keep out of the food supply. Probably good to heed their advice. There is a way to use a sous vide setup to pasteurize foods below the cook point to kill pathogens. Eggs are kept at 135° for 75 minutes to accomplish this. Do some research before you go medium rare with Chicken.

• You should cook poultry to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

At your risk of salmonella infection.

Duck is a much darker meat, which explains the color difference. To be safe, there should be NO pink in chicken or turkey.  Poultry is not the same as beef. Salmonella is present in the bird. With beef, the risk of ecoli comes only from meat exposed to contents of the digestive system during processing. That's the reason for the warning to thoroughly cook ground beef. There will be NO issues with a steak, any bacteria on the surface will be killed by cooking and there is NO bacteria internally on a steak.

No, chicken and pork need to be cooked right through. 

• kswck2

165 degrees, nothing less, unless you want food poisoning. 

No, you should make it rare as hell. In fact, eat it raw. Please. We need less people like you on the planet.